Real Estate


I own land in the Township of Stirling-Rawdon. Part of the land is along a river and I want to make some of the water front land a separate cottage lot. It is in a really nice location. Trouble is, this part of my property is a long way from the nearest road. I have to make a laneway or a right of way over my remaining land from the road to the separate lot. I am on a tight budget. How good does the laneway to the separate lot have to be? Can I just clear the laneway area with a tractor or bulldozer and be done with it?

— Laneway land owner

Dear laneway: Township of Stirling-Rawdon land owners who permit other people travel across their land to access their cottage, house, farmland, hunting camp, etc. within the Township should be aware that the Township of Stirling Rawdon has a By Law (1044-14) requiring the travelled area to meet certain standards. Land owners have until 1 January 2025 to comply with the By Law and ensure the standards are met. Non-compliance has consequences such as denial, withholding or revocation of permits, certificates or other forms of authorization to use or develop any land, structures or property improvements. If this applies to you and you have any questions/concerns, contact the Township by phone (613-395-3380) or through the website,

Real Estate Documents

QUESTION: I have listed my house for sale. The real estate agent, a great person, wants me to complete and sign a document that outlines a whole lot of information about my house. Most of the questions I don't understand and alot of the information being asked is unfamiliar to me. My agent said that without the document, the chance of getting a decent offer on my house is greatly reduced. What should I do?

Yours truly,

Confused but want to sell

Dear Confused, etc.:

Well, as you saw on the document, you are giving alot of information about your house to anyone interested in giving you and offer to purchase the property. You should speak to your lawyer before signing any document associated with the sale of your property. I cannot stress that enough although it rarely, if ever, happens. 

As for the document, you fill it out as best you can. You are providing the purchaser with ammunition to use against you if there turns out to be a problem with the house after the purchaser becomes the owner. You are also giving your real estate agent ammunition to use against you because there is now a record of what information you provided about the property to the agent. 

If you complete such a document, PLEASE make reference to it in the Offer (or Agreement) and specify that it is not intended to be relied upon by the purchaser. Yes, there is a statement to that effect on the document; however, most purchasers won't pay attention to it there and will, if questioned in court, likely say that they did not see it and no one told them about it. 

In order to have your liability for any statement you made about the property properly limited, bring it to everyone's attention directly in the Offer (or Agreement). While that may even not be 100% effective, at least it is a good indication of your intention and your efforts to inform the purchaser. As well, the purchaser has to sign the Offer (or Agreement). The purchaser does not have to sign the information document. Usually, we are held to what we sign.    

There is a bit of a controversy about that document. Check out comments and articles written by Bob Aaron, a well respected Toronto area real estate lawyer, at


Few Things to Consider

  1. These Home Inspectors who will do a great job for you!! I recommend a home inspection to all prospective purchasers. Remember that an inspection is a snap shot of the house at that time of the inspection. The inspector will report only on what is seen during the inspection. There will be no moving things around or opening things or destructive testing. The inspection report will give you some wonderful information on the property as well as great general information on home maintenance. It is money well spent, as is money for your legal services. You and the inspector are guests of the home owner - remember that!!    




  2. If you are considering buying or selling a house, farm, vacant land, commercial property, always check with a real estate agent first. They are tremendously helpful with all aspect of buying and selling real estate. You won't be sorry!! I will soon have some links for sites of real estate agents with whom we work quite closely. Until then, please contact me for referral information.